Thursday, May 1, 2008

Fired Up or Burned Out

Details first. Then whining.

Apparently my Nike iPod isn't quite callibrated yet. Nike Voice Man said 3 miles. I think it came in closer to 2.5 or 2.75. But that's better than it was on Saturday when he excitedly told me "half way point!" at about mile 5 (when I had set it for 18).... Oh well, I'll try to recallibrate that tonight or tomorrow.

Temps were *very* warm this morning. 67 when I got back inside. I had originally grabbed a long sleeved running shirt, but changed my mind and opted for the tshirt because I thought I would rather be cold than hot. Who was I kidding. I was hot WITH the tshirt. And it was very windy too. The first mile and a half were brutal. Just dreadful. The last mile was moderately decent.


Now, bear with me while I vent for a while.


First, the burned out...

I just don't want to run anymore. Well, it's not that I want to QUIT. I'm just tired of it and
experiencing some burnout. I'm ready to be DONE. I'm sick of running. Sick. Of. Running. I'm ready for June 1 to be here. I want to just do the marathon. Although I know I'm probably not ready to do the marathon. I'm just sick of training for it. I didn't want to run this morning. I don't want to run Saturday morning. I'm tired of my entire Saturday morning being taken up by running. I've been running for 14 weeks. And it's been hard. And some times it's just not fun. I'm sick of hurting and aching and icing and stretching and rolling. I'm sick of sports bras and gels and wheat bagels and advil and icy hot.

And I know the burn-out will go away. I'm so close to the end of this journey. Only four more long runs. That's all! I can do it and I will totally do it. But today I just don't want to.


Now the fired up...


I have seen the importance of the support and encouragement of oth
ers while I attempt to take on this challenge. I am surrounded by friends and family who are continually cheering me on. People who are just as excited as I am that I accomplished - and survived - a long run. Or ran an official Half Marathon. Or can walk down the hall without limping. I have a friend who has been saying "Run Angie Run!" since January. I have a huge cheering section of friends at church who are keeping up with my progress. Last night I had just told Jodi "I'm sick of running." and a minute later, two family friends said "Look how far you've come! You're doing great!" I have friends here at work who send me home on Fridays with good luck wishes for Saturday's long run. And, of course, my family and extended family. Huge cheerleaders! My biggest fan club. Especially Jodi -- who has probably had it worse than me on Saturdays since he's the one who is home alone with the kids every Saturday morning. Big thanks to him for doing that so I can do this. (I heart you Captain!) My examples of things you all say to me could go on and on.

So, all of your support and encouragement gets me through this -- even when my own excitement isn't all there.


There's a song on my iPod that I love. It's by the All American Rejects. Sums it up nicely.
"When all you got to keep is strong, move along, move along like I know ya do. And even when your hope is gone, move along, move along just to make it through. Move along. Go on, go on, go on go on."

OK, I think I'm done now. I'm feeling better already.....

1 comment:

Abby said...

Congratulations on what you have accomplished! I know what it is like to be feeling burnt out. You are so close!