Sunday, May 4, 2008

Thus begins the big week

Feeling ok this morning. Just a bit stiff, but that should improve as I move around a bit more. Nothing hurts, so that's good.

This Saturday is the big TWENTY. This week I will need to mentally prepare almost, if not more, than physically prepare. It worked well yesterday with my thoughts and music and distractions. I *have* to keep the messages from the left brain contained. There's lots of good info on ways to do that outlined in the marathon book I'm reading. So much of this running stuff is mental. It's crazy.

Yet another thing I can think about while I run...my form. George & Julie pointed out a problem yesterday that they saw with my arms and upper body. I was twisting my upper body and almost crossing my arms in front of my chest. Need to keep my arms tighter at my side, parallel with my body. I need to use that energy to move me forward. Julie said a high school track coach said to pretend there are ropes along your sides and you are grabbing them and pulling yourself forward. I have grown to recognize when I am holding my shoulders up too high or when I can lower my hips a bit. All that form stuff - it does make a difference. And every bit of energy I have needs to be directed forward. FORWARD MOVEMENT!


Even though it is Sunday, I am a bit concerned about the weather for Saturday. The week looks to be a warm one with highs in the 80s by the end of the week. Of course, that can change several times by Saturday. But if it is that warm, I'll need to think about wearing my hydration belt. I got so hot yesterday and was ready for the water way before we got to it. Can't let that happen.

My plan for the week: I will do lots of stretches and maybe some Pilates today to loosen everything back up. I've got a set of strengthening exercises that I've been doing - I can do those every day too. I'll probably walk on Monday and Wednesday and run on Tuesday and Thursday. Rest on Friday. RUN ON SATURDAY!!

So, we begin the week of the 20! THINK TWENTY!!!!

No comments: