Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I get by with a little help from my friends

May 10. It is the date that has been looming on the training calendar since January when I received my copy. It's the big twenty miler. And it's this Saturday. Lots going on in my brain about this. I'm dreading it. But I'm looking forward to it. I want to do it. I don't want to do it. Just the challenge of attempting it. Doing it. I am fretting about the recovery from it. Will I live to tell about it? Will I *want* to tell about it? Twenty miles. That's a long way. But after this Saturday's huge hurdle, I really feel like I'm in the home stretch. Because then it's 12 and 8 and then the marathon.


This week my legs and feet seem to really be feeling the 180 miles that have been put on them. Not real sure what's going on there. They are just achey and are so tired. I hope they'll hang in there with me. They have served me well. And I only need about 80.2 more miles out of them. Then they can retire.





WEATHER
The weather isn't looking too favorable for Saturday. Highs are expected to be in the low 80s. My email exchange with my personal meteorologist went something like this:
TO: Ron
FROM: Angie
RE: Cut it out

AW: You're killing me with the Saturday forecast Childers. I'm gonna' die in that heat. And the low Friday is mid 60's. I won't even start off with cool temps. Are you kidding me?! I thought you were my friend.

RC: Come on....a little rain and heat never killed anyone....intentionally


ROUTE
I asked George yesterday what the route would be. He said he was still working on it. But was looking for somewhere shady. No such place in Shelby Farms. He said, with a lilt to his voice and a sick smile on his face "The Hills of Walnut Grove Lake are shady!". Ugh. I. Hate. Hills. He also referred to this Saturday's run as "a nice twenty miler". Nice? NICE?!? Can you use that adjective when you describe a TWENTY MILE RUN?!?!? He's a good guy and a great coach and all. But he's just sick. (Sorry George. You know I love you.)



RIGHT BRAIN
It will be key for me this Saturday to keep Mr. "You Are Tired. Stop Running Right Now" Left Brain out of this.
I've got to focus on positive -- and distracting -- thoughts. Last weekend, I admit that at one point when I was so tired and beyond bored, I started rattling off state capitals. I may try that again. Or just all the states in alphabetical order. Or maybe reciting Pi to 100,000 places.... So, the suggestion box is now open. Anybody have any ideas on things I can think about on Saturday? Any lists anybody wants me to create for them? Problems to solve? Any song requests that I may perform? I'd love to hear from you.




THINK TWENTY!!!













3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about thinking the books of the Bible, saying the books of the Bible and then singing the books of the Bible. End with what your Dad always said -- Be calm, don't panic, when you panic you loose control.
I love you and I am so proud of you - some of your Dad shines in you -

Anonymous said...

Um....I think you think about ANYTHING but your feet!!! You could make a Christmas list...or think about Disney!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Try to think like the "Little Train that Could" - I KNOW I CAN - I KNOW I CAN - I KNOW I CAN - and YOU WILL. Just think - there is light at the end of this tunnel - can't you hear the whistle in the distance?
We Love you and are Very Proud of you.
AL & UN