Sunday, May 25, 2008

The rest of the story...

So you've gathered from the earlier post that yesterday's run wasn't the prettiest that I have had. But it was an exciting day since it was our last official group run.

When we got to Shelby Farms, we found out it was the first day of training for the TNT teams for the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francicso and the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington. I mentioned something to Joyce (their coach) about remembering our first day and she asked that I share that with the group. So I told my little story. I talked about our first group run when they warned us about the black ice on the trail and I was just so scared to begin with and I was wondering what on earth I had gotten myself into. I said that Joyce had told me early on that there would be a day when I would say "today we are running just 3 or just 5" and how I didn't believe I would *ever* say that. And I said, "But today we are running just 8." So, good luck to the new teams. Yea for them! GO TEAM! I do feel very sorry for them because their entire training season is in this brutal summer Memphis heat.

There was a 5k being held at the lake a little later and one of the race organizers said "Y'all want to register for the 5k?" "No thanks, we're running a bit farther today." How about that? We totally dissed their little 3 mile run.....

The run yesterday was just quite ugly. I probably walked more than I ran during the last 3 miles. At mile 7, as I was nearing the finish line (and death) I was approached by 2 ladies running heading out. She noticed my TNT shirt and said "What race are you training for?" "San Diego - NEXT SUNDAY!" "I thought so - great - good luck!" Woo hoo for me! It's always nice to receive a little cheer along the way.

Poor George, again, ran double the scheduled mileage since he runs up and then comes back to check on me. I would say "I'm just so hot" and he would say "San Diego is nothing like this." The last time he came back to 'get me', was almost to the finish and he returned WITH A BOTTLE OF WATER. Thank you George! What a nice coach he is.....

So, that is the end of the group training runs for the San Diego team. We all left hot and exhausted, but so excited. Because the next time we would be together would be in SAN DIEGO!!!

Thanks to Lacy R., April D., Elizabeth S., and Karin E. who all joined the list of my wonderful supporters and made donations this week. My new total is now $4276. And I think that is just uber great!!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think YOU are uber great! Let the countdown begin~