Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The most exciting news of all

Big fat zero miles for me today. My ankles/feet/shins/calves were hurting last night and again this morning. Just felt tight and almost burning a little. Where did that come from? I got up anyway and did 45 minutes of pilates and stretches. So the morning wasn't a complete waste. It just felt like my body was saying NO THANK YOU to any running or even walking today. So I said ok. Oh well. What's a girl to do?

Now for the most exciting news of all! I MET -- AND EXCEEDED -- MY FUNDRAISING
GOAL!!!!! Thanks to all of you! I'm so excited about that. My current total is $4,126. YEA!!!!! I am so appreciative of each of you and the support you have given me. I know there are so many different causes that you can choose to support and there are mortgages and tuition and light bills to pay and $4 a gallon gas to buy. So thank you so much for making your donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. For me - for my dad. I hope you know that YOU have made a DIFFERENCE. This money goes to research that just takes us one more step closer toward finding a cure for blood cancers.




I just hate leukemia. I hate the fact that any time my little innocent 5 year old son hears that somebody died, he says "Did they have leukemia?" Someone was writing a check for me yesterday and said "Help me out - I don't know how to spell leukemia." I hate the fact that I do know how to spell it. I hate the fact that it took my dad. I just hate it. I. Hate. Leukemia. And I will forever be an advocate for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to raise both funds and awareness for blood cancers. Here are some facts (again) about leukemia & blood cancers:
  • Over 135,000 people were diagnosed wtih leukemia or another blood cancer in 2007.
  • Over 52,000 people will die this year from leukemia or lymphoma.
  • Every 10 minutes someone dies from a blood cancer. That's 143 people per day. That's 6 people every hour.
  • There are 4 different types of leukemia. AML, the type my dad had, currently has a 20.7% five year survival rate.


I was thinking last night about the money you've donated for this Team in Training. And the money that a lot of you have also given over the last two years when we had a team for Light the Night. When you add all that up together, the total is over $10,000. TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!! In less than 2 years. I think that is AMAZING. I am certain that Daddy would just be blown away by that. He would be so humbled to know that you have all done that for him. So, I just want you all to feel good about what you have done. One day there will be a cure. And you will have had a part in that. Doesn't that feel good?!?!

OK, that's all about that for now. Thanks for reading. Thanks for supporting me. Thanks for remembering my dad.

Don't forget.... Saturday.....TWENTY MILES!!!







No comments: