Friday, February 1, 2008

Silly me

When George originally gave me the training schedule, and I saw that Tuesdays and Fridays were "off" days, I asked him if that really meant "OFF" - like no exercise at all. You see, I explained, I walk on my treadmill every day. I've walked on my treadmill every morning for about four years. I like doing it. I feel good when I do it. It's just what I do and very much a part of my morning routine. I just don't see how I can't do anything. I just cannot have an 'off day'. He said that maybe in the beginning, I would want to still walk on the off days, but once we started getting the longer mile runs in, I would not want to walk. And that I would need the off days to allow my body to recover and rest. I continued to try to explain that I felt like walking every day was something I really wanted, and needed, to do and I would just do it anyway. It would just be walking for goodness sakes. Probably only a mile. Nothing fast or major. Just some simple walking on my beloved treadmill. So the conversation ended there. I was thinking that I would still walk on off days. He was probably thinking that I'll find out the hard way.

Well, here we are at the end of WEEK ONE. And today is an off day. And it was very, very, VERY nice to sleep in this morning and not run. Or walk. George 1 / Angie 0

Progress made:
Fundraising total is $925! WOO-HOO!

Lesson learned:
He who has run 37 marathons knows more about running and training than she who has only run a total of 37 miles in her whole life...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is easier to run/walk when you have tv to watch, especially the food network. You can look at all that good food and it is not putting on pounds as you are taking them off.
ily

Anonymous said...

I thought of you this morning as I was struggling to exercise my dog for like you said, a simple mile, nothing big, just walking/jogging a mile with my dog and it was a struggle (way too cold for me and windy) so I was relieved to see you had an off day. And, yes please take the advice of an OFF DAY, your body(even if your mind doesn't)will want one! I can remember feeling that way occasionally too because I was used to some kind of daily exercise!!
Karin