Saturday, February 23, 2008

Trying to be smart not stubborn


It's GAME DAY!! I just read on the Commercial Appeal website (since my paper isn't here yet - GRRRRR) that by 5am there were already almost 100 students at the Forum getting in line for tickets and spots for the ESPN College Game Day show. I'm *so* excited!!!

Now let's talk about running. Or for today, NOT running. I've decided to sit today out and not run or walk. Very hard decision and I'm disappointed and upset and trying not to cry right now as I type this. But after listening to Nanette and Dr. Azar and Ty (my MD bro-in-law), and Connie (my WISE sister), I've decided to just rest today and not push it so this inflammation can heal. I did think about just walking the entire thing. And while walking is just walking, nine miles is a LOT of walking.

The inflammation is the body's way of dealing with injury. I have to listen to that. The last thing I want is to try to push through something and then REALLY get hurt. So I'm hoping that a day or so of real genuine rest will benefit me a lot.

So, today is game day. In more ways that one. And here I am on the DL. But hopefully this will be a smart decision and I will be back on track very soon.

In the meantime,
GO TIGERS!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had been in on that conversation, my advice would have been the same. To rest and let this heal, will make later walks/runs possible. And, you really do need to save all your strength for tonight. I know you all too well to think you are going go sit quietly during this game. So, I'll also say - GO TIGERS!
ily

Unknown said...

IMHO, wise decision to sit this one out. Pain is the body's way of telling you to cool it before you damage something, so you are right to listen. Think of it as an investment in future performance. Up here in New England we went through this "perfect record" thing with the Patriots. I hope the Tigers do better. Good luck. Tom