Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Walk this way

Before we get started, join me this morning in raising your coffee cup to salute the Vanderbilt Commodores who knocked off the #1 Tennessee Volunteers last night. Woo-hoo! We were all Vandy fans yesterday weren't we?! The Tigers take on Tulsa tonight and Southern Miss Saturday. So, I hope UT enjoyed their BRIEF stay at the top (Rocky NOT Top - ha ha), because next Monday, we should be back on top of the polls. Then there are two games remaining. Pundits have us at 30-1 at the end of the season and a #1 seed in the tourny. March Madness is looming and I'm excited!!! GO TIGERS!!!!!





This morning, I walked a nice little mile on my treadmill. Just one... Every once in a while, I broke out in a slight trot. Nothing major. There was some tightness and just a slight touch of ouch. A little discomfort remains, but nothing like it has been. So, I would say I'm on the mend. I'm not going to be able to just jump out there and pick up where I left off. Hard to think that two weeks ago I was running 7 miles and now I can barely squeak out one mile walking. But, shin splints can be summed up in four words: too much, too soon. So I'll just have to SLOWLY get ramped up again.

Julie the Mentor sent me an email last night and summed it up like this: "definitely better to take it easy now and still be able to finish the season than to be sidelined for a longer period of time...(and if it takes a little longer, there are still more seasons - we ain't goin' nowhere til there's a CURE!)..." (Thanks Julie!) I'm still viewing this as a detour not a derailment. Plus, if it comes down to walking the whole stinkin' 26.2 miles, I'll do that. My goals for this quest were to raise money and awareness for the Leukemia Society, honor and remember my Daddy, and finish the marathon in an upright, vertical position. I am convinced I can do all of those things.

I've also been keeping an eye on Darren McFadden (my favorite former Arkansas Razorback) who is knocking everybody's socks off at the NFL combines this week. He's expected to be a top 5 NFL draft pick in April.

And, in case you were wondering, my favorite American Idol guy is that cute little David Archuleta. I love how he is just so surprised and embarrassed by the applause and cheers he gets. He's a cutie and a darn good singer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have never rooted for Vandy before in my life, except for last night. Of course, as you know, I am kind of a schitzophrenic UT fan...love their football, hate their basketball. It is Rocky there at the Top!!

I love David too....