Friday, February 29, 2008

February 29




Happy Leap Day! We all know that Leap Year happens every four years, in years divisible by four. But did you know that of those years, if it can be divided by 100, it is NOT a leap year, unless the year is divisible by 400. Then it is a leap year. So, 1600 and 2000 were leap years, and 2400 and 2800 will also be, 1800 and 1900 were not, and the years 2100 and 2200 will not be leap years. And did you know that a leap day is more likely to fall on a Monday than on a Sunday. Today is also Sadie Hawkins Day. Anyway, thanks to Wiki for that trivia. I love useless trivia.....

I spent 30 minutes of my extra day's 24 hours on the treadmill this morning. Put in 2 miles. I would guess about a fourth of that was running. Maybe a bit more. There was some discomfort, but nothing like it has been. So, while this wasn't anything major in terms of distance or running, it was progress and movement. So I will chalk it up to a good day. I'm light years from where I was last Friday.

It is becoming very apparent that this recovery is going to be very slow. I know there is no way that I can run the 10 miles tomorrow. I am going to have to walk most of it. I will try to run some of it. But I have discovered the hard way what happens when you push yourself. And it hasn't been fun. So, tomorrow I'll probably hang with the walkers. And I'm ok with that.

I did about 30 minutes of stretching and strengthening exercises last night. Some were easy and felt good. Others were just downright hard and not fun. I am seeing the importance of overall strength and conditioning.
Progress made:
Movement on the treadmill. Albeit slow and steady - but hey, isn't that what wins the race?
$2,116 raised. I'm at 52% of my goal! Yea!

Need to work on:
Commit to at least 30 minutes of stretching exercises every day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Weird about all of the leap year things. Would love to run with you tomorrow but don't know if we can work out the logistics of that.

Proud of you!!

GT (go tigers)