Saturday, February 2, 2008

Two work-outs in one day

I don't know what had me sweating more today... My 4 mile group run or the Tigers close call. But boy they both had me out of breath!

I completed my 4 mile run this morning. Actually it was 4.28 miles (If I ran it, might as well claim it!). It was a pretty good run. There was a major hill right as we started that nearly killed me. I got a bit winded, but once I made it to the top of that, it was ok. Hard to tackle that right in the beginning when you're not really warmed up. Most of the time, we ran 4 minutes and walked 2 minutes. Very doable. Entire run was 1 hour and 1 minute. I may be slow, but I'm very consistent! A nice 15-minute mile.....

My shins weren't much of a problem. Just a little discomfort. I saw Nanette yesterday. She is one of our PTs and a previous TNT coach. She helped me out a lot and was very encouraging too! She showed me some stretches and gave me some shoe recommendations. Apparently my calves are very tight and my ankles are not very flexible which could be the cause of the shin problem. I also bought some new shoes yesterday afternoon. So maybe it was my fancy new running shoes that helped me out today! I'm really hopeful that my exercises will just eventually eliminate the shin pain.

I ran most of the time today with Julie the Mentor. Again, the time and distance go quicker when you are talking with someone.

I don't feel as wiped out this afternoon as I did last week (except for exhausting myself trying to help the Tigers pull the win out). I guess running during the week helps that. I have run 16 miles in a week. Wow - that's pretty major for me.

Now, about the Tigers. They couldn't buy a basket it seemed. And heaven help them if any game comes down to a free throw. It was just ugly. But they won. And we remain undefeated. And #1. GO TIGERS!

Progress made:
Got new running shoes.
Fundraising total is now $1,150!! I was even the highest TNT fundraiser this week!

Lesson learned:
Take water with me on longer runs. Sunglasses would have helped today too.
Even if it's 35 degrees, my body will heat up pretty quickly with the sun out. I got a bit warm today and had to start removing layers. Layering is key.

Need to work on:
My stretches to help loosen and strengthen my calves and shins.

No comments: