Friday, February 29, 2008

Email from George the Coach

Hello Rock n Rollers!

Well, Saturday is the "big one" - our first double digit run! 10 miles, count them ten! Uno dos tres cuatro cinco seis siete ocho nueve diez!

Our route will be Shelby Farms visitor center lower parking lot (8:00 am), cross Walnut Grove at the traffic light, and head out along the paved path and gravel road to the Agricenter. From there, south along the paved path to our well deserved refreshment stop at the gravel parking lot immediately across from Walnut Bend/Shell Station (cooler full of goodies). Rest room at Shell Station if needed.Then, south along Germantown Road, cross the Wolf River, and then we head west on the Germantown Greenway that borders the Wolf River. At the magical mile 5 point, we turn about and head back the same route. Same rest room stop if needed, same refreshment break.

Weather should be picture perfect!

It looks like most of you prefer the 6/2 or 8/2 run/walk strategy, so we will plan to use that routinely in our training now that we are getting into the longer distances. We may also need to dial the pace back a bit, since the key is getting in the miles, and forget the clock. (Easier for me to say than do, as many of you know).


As typical on a Friday night, I have begun to fret about tomorrow's run. I *so* want to be able to run this. I know I probably won't be able to do it all - even with a 6/2 interval. I just have to be ok with that. I have to just do what I'm able to do. And no more. I have to really listen to my body and not get stubborn about this. I really can't push myself. I can't allow myself to think that I'm in better condition than I am. I have to take this ramping back up very slowly. That's the only way that I will be able to get back on the mend and get back in line with my training and really give the marathon a good shot. Tonight, my head is not really playing along with this one. But tomorrow, I'm pretty sure my shins will over-rule.

No comments: