Thursday, February 14, 2008

Who needs candy for Valentine's Day when they've got Gu


To Gu or not to Gu? That is the question.

At this phase of the training, I am learning that it is important to maintain blood sugar levels and replace carbohydrates that are used while running long distances or doing other types of strenuous exercise. This is done by taking carbohydrate supplements before and especially during a long run. These supplements come in several different forms but apparently Gu is the most popular one.

Gu.....Gu is an energy food designed to be quickly and easily digested so it can be eaten during endurance activities, like running. It is a gel that you squirt in your mouth and rinse down with some water. It contains carbohydrates that can be broken down into fuel very quickly.

Gu is called Gu because it's really GOO. I had seen these little 1 ounce flavored packets at the shoe store and read about them in some running research I've done. And now, as we are beginning longer group runs, the topic of Gu is coming up in my training.

I had completely talked myself out of the Gu. I would almost gag just thinking about it. It doesn't even sound appealing. Gu. I was much more interested in checking out the other types of carb supplements like the Shot Blocks (small squares that are kind of like gummy bears) or Jelly Belly Sport Beans (Now we're talking! "Hi I'm training for a marathon and I get to eat jelly beans!!!!")

I expressed my Gu disdain to George the Coach yesterday. He said I needed to try it and he would 'bring the goodies'.

So this morning, George brings in a lovely array of supplements. Happy Valentine's Day! Who needs flowers and chocolates? I've got orange Shot Blocks, fruit punch Sport Beans, and tri-berry Gu. My friend Anne was in my office, so we decided to tackle this taste test together. We both really loved the Jelly Beans - of course. While I was getting up the nerve to eat the Shot Block, she had already halfway devoured hers. Then we both realized that those were totally nasty. Couldn't even swallow those so we spit them in the trash can. Next came the Gu. It was so thick that it wouldn't even drop off the spoon when we turned it upside down. It was less than delicious - a little medicinal.

It is strongly recommended that you train with the same supplements that are provided at the race you are running. At the Rock 'N Roll Marathon, this will be Power Bar Gel (like Gu, just a different brand). George says that I "best get some Power Bar gel so I can grow to love it by June 1." UGH.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had better not let Cooper see you gag on that "medicine"...!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL -- Oh I meant to say it was delicious! YUM YUM!!