Monday, March 10, 2008

Having a ball


Really, really, *really* almost slept in this morning. What's wrong with me?!?! I never used to reset the alarm or even consider it. But these days, that thought it popping in my head more and more. This morning I convinced myself to get up and I'm glad I did. I feel good and now am not struggling with the guilt.

I did the 'lower body workout' dvd on my stability ball. It was quite nice. Good stretches - nothing too strenuous. It just felt real good. I've done some exercising on the ball before. Since the ball is unstable, you have to maintain your balance while you continue to do the moves. So, all this combined really strengthens the abs, lower back, etc. - the whole 'core' thing. Which, I have learned, makes for a stronger runner.

This morning, I'm actually not even hurting. Some soreness in my thighs - but that's from just running. May be the first time I've been "just sore" from running - and that feels ok. My calves feel better this morning than they have in weeks. Just a small amount of pain, but nothing at all compared to what I've been experiencing. Am I turning a corner here on my injury?

Jodi and I wondered why we weren't totally wiped out yesterday like we were last weekend. (He ran his 8 miles when I got home). I know it was 2 miles shorter, but neither of us felt anything like we did last Saturday. Don't get me wrong, I was ready to crawl in the bed by 9pm last night, but really didn't have to struggle with the whole recovery thing yesterday afternoon.

(Jodi did yesterday's run in Germantown on part of the Half Marathon course. He's checking out some of the hills. There is a *HUGE* one on Kimbrough. I chose yesterday to go to Shelby Farms. I never considered putting in the miles on the treadmill (what progress for me!) I thought about running here in the neighborhood, but decided Shelby Farms may be better for me. That is a little bit of a comfort zone for me for long runs. I like being able to just run on a trail that is a bit ambiguous on distance rather than run on a street that is more definitive. Seems so much farther to me if there are street names associated with it.)

So, my week is off to a good start. I feel better this morning overall than I have in several weeks. I will have to adjust my training schedule a bit since my long run was yesterday. I also don't want to push it too much this week since I am apparently making progress. And I would really like to do well Sunday in the 1/2.

I feel good today!

Progress made:
Fundraising total is now $2,486! That's well over half way, but I still have a way to go toward my goal of $4,000.
Ran 8 miles this weekend by myself and lived to tell about it.
Not hurting (too much) this morning.

Lesson learned:
It was hard to take it a bit slower the last few weeks, but it paid off. Learn to listen to my body - and to other people.

Need to work on:
Slowly work back into my short runs during the week.
Continue to fundraise to meet my goal. (Hope you'll consider helping me out!)

No comments: