Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Germantown Half Marathon!

An email from George last night....

Rock n Rollers:

Our schedule calls for a slow and easy 12 miler on Saturday March 15. Well, guess what? You can have the day off! Yes, I mean it. Sleep in, eat pancakes, bacon and eggs, hash browns, the works! Here's the "but" . . .

But, Sunday Sunday Sunday . . . happens to be the Germantown Half Marathon, just one point one measly mile more than our twelve miler. So, here is a great opportunity to test out your long distance skills, amongst 700 or so other like minded runners, in a race atmosphere, where there are water stops virtually every mile or so where the folks hand you the water and often thank you for being out there, now how much better can it get? Not to mention porta potties wherever you look, police protection from out of control SUV's trying desperately to catch you, camaraderie, and crowds, crowds, crowds, cheering just for YOU! And to top it off, they even have post race shower facilities at the Germantown Athletic Club!!!!

This is a great opportunity to learn what to do with a "chip" and a "bib" and "body glide" and vaseline", all of which we will review in advance. You will have a chance to experiment with your clothing and shoes and socks, with water and/or gatorade, with gu or power gel or hammergel, all important steps before the biggie on June 1. Find out what works for you and what doesn't in the comfort of your backyard/neighborhood before you get to San Diego.


So, I have signed up! Like George said, if I'm going to run 12 miles on Saturday, why not postpone it a day, add a mile, and call it a half marathon!

And, sweet husband Jodi registered too! He's been following the training schedule along with me, so he's just as ready (probably more) as the rest of us. He actually already runs part of the course anyway during some training for work, so he's been pointing out the tough hills and the more friendly (i.e. flatter) areas. He'll totally finish before me, but we'll be there together at the beginning anyway so that will be nice. Love that guy.

I think I'm excited!!!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Go for it Angie (and Jodi)! You've even got me excited. I sure wish I could turn my age numbers around, I'd go running too. Tom