Sunday, March 9, 2008

Eight was almost great



Because of the snow, yesterday's group run was pushed from 7am to noon. But we already had plans to go to Jodi's grandmother's in Missouri for his birthday, so I couldn't run with the group. I instead, put my 8 miles in today. By myself. At Shelby Farms. And it was pretty good actually.


There were lots of people there today. It wasn't too cold and the sun was shining - a nice day.


The first few miles were a bit rough. I did some short walk/run intervals. At the magic 4 mile halfway point, it was 57:03. Miles 5-8 were actually pretty good. I had some gel (green apple -definitely the best so far) and ate it (Do you eat it? Consume? Suck down? Swallow? I'm not real sure what verb to use here.) about mile 4, so maybe that was the reason for that. Jodi said that was the point where I went numb. Regardless, those last few miles were really ok.

I took my fuel belt with me today and I was glad I did. Especially since it wasn't the group run so no one had planted water for me along the course. A little dorky, but definitely needed. It's like a fanny pack with water bottles in it.Music that kept me moving today included: The Outfield, The Foo Fighters, Good Charlotte, Prince and Matchbox Twenty.

My total time was 1:54:15 which ends up being a 14:17 average mile. Plus, my split time was the exact same time. Not bad. Not fast. But not bad. Definitely consistent. Remember, slow and steady wins the race!

I don't even feel real wiped out or sore right now either. So that's an added bonus.

It was nice day. It was a good run. I almost felt like a real runner today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!! You are definitely making progress and it sounds like you are a "real runner". Think of all of the fresh air that you were able to enjoy.
I am SAD to see the snow melt - but glad you got to run.
Love ya!
AL & UN