Tuesday, April 1, 2008

One step at a time

Since it wasn't raining, I got up this morning and ran 15 miles. OK, OK - April Fool's!! That may be the extent of my pranks today. We'll have to see what transpires.....My kids are *very* into this day of tricks. I'm sure it will involve Cooper's whoopie cushion and Jordan pretending to throw up at some point. Best of luck to the jokers today. Maybe Mark Twain summed it up best: "April 1st: This is the day upon which we are reminded of what we are on the other three-hundred and sixty-four."

Today is a rest day for me. I'm glad since I was awake quite a bit during last night's storms and Jodi's cell phone kept going off. I have learned to love that extra hour of sleep.

On the race front, I submitted all my paperwork to the Leukemia Society for the marathon. It's becoming more and more official. Two months from *today* is the marathon!

Our long runs are getting just that: LONGER. We are scheduled for 15 miles this Saturday. Yes, you heard me. FIFTEEN MILES. Oh dear. I could really get freaked out by this if I let myself. But I'm not. I can't. I will just press on this week with my small runs and continue to stretch a lot. And then face Saturday when it comes. And I'll do it. One. Step. At. A. Time. That's all I can
do. I can't look at the whole big picture when it comes to this. It has to be one step at a time.

Looking back at this whole journey, I would have never dreamed I would have even made it this far. I remember the night in January when I signed up, a coach told me me that once we started doing these long runs, I would look back on the shorter ones and say "JUST three miles" or "ONLY five miles". I remember thinking she was a NUT. But it is true. I think back to that first group run on January 26 when we ran (just) three miles. And what a challenge I thought it was. And how excited I was when I finished. I never thought I would be able to even do that. I've run over 114 miles since then. Including a HALF MARATHON! Sooooo, I can look at the challenge I have ahead of me for this Saturday (and the next....and the next.....) and just do it. It's 15 miles. I read that one mile equals about 2,000 steps. Maybe I should say I have to run 30,000 steps on Saturday. It may sound a little bit better. Regardless if it's 15 miles or 30,000 steps, it all happens just one step at a time.

No comments: