Saturday, April 19, 2008

A very good day!



Today was a very good day! I arrived at Shelby Farms with the attitude of "I'll just do what I can do."

Jessica, Julie & I were the only RNR's that were there today. (Today was the last run for the Country Music Marathoners. They race on Saturday!! Go Team!) I told Julie & Jessica to go on and not hang back with me today since I wasn't sure how long I would last. It didn't take very long at all for them to pull away from me. So I ran by myself. And it was just fine. I trotted along to the Shell and only stopped one time. Julie had left the cooler for us and had filled it with water and fresh orange slices. How yummy. They really hit the spot and gave me some added energy.

The original plan was to go beyond the Shell to the 6 mile mark and head back. I went ahead and turned back at the Shell so, in case my knee did give out, I would be that much closer to my car. But, my knee held on so I took the long way around the lake. My plan was to go around the lake 2 or 3 times to push it to the 12 miles. After one lap around, I was starting to question how much longer I could go, so I called it quits. That was probably 8 miles total. I decided to cut it short while I felt good, rather than push it until I felt crummy.

I really felt good afterwards and have continued to feel pretty good most of the afternoon. It was the first time, after a long run, that I have not felt like just dying in the bed for three hours. I did have 3 gels during the run, so maybe that was beneficial. I never thought while I was running, that I just needed to stop. I walked, counting the refreshment break, four times. Wow! That's pretty good for an 8-mile trot. It is really working for me to slow my pace down just a little bit (yes, hard to believe I can go even S...L...O...W...E...R than slow). I am able to go much longer distances without having to stop. I think that is also keeping me from feeling totally wiped out during or after. It's a good thing.

I was diggin' my tunes today. Music that kept me going was some Bon Jovi, The Police, John Mellencamp, Huey Lewis, and 10,000 Maniacs.

Today I wore my hydration belt because I wanted to try some Accelerade during the run. I'm not a fan of any of that "ade" stuff, but thought I should try it. And, Accelerade is the brand they will serve in San Diego, so that's what I need to train with. It wasn't bad. Just don't know if it made any difference. I think the gels played a larger role in my success today. I need to use more of them throughout the run, especially at the end. I'm also going to just stick with water.

I remain very consistent in my pace. My entire 8 miles was 2:01. Comes in to just a teeny bit shy of perfect 15 minute mile....Slow and steady!

Am having a little pain in my left knee tonight. The left was the bad, that became the good, which is now apparently the bad again. My right knee feels great. I have rolled on ol' Foamy several times this afternoon and will hit it a few more times before bed. I have grown fond of the 'hurts so good' pain he inflicts on me.

This message was waiting for us on the path heading to the lake. Our whole team (RNR, CMM & MIM) has raised $118,166 so far! I think that's great! That is money toward a cure!!! My current total is $3,451. THANK YOU!!! I am just $549 from my goal. YIPEE!!

It was just a very good day. The weather was beautiful, my run was "perfect", and I feel great.

No comments: