Monday, January 28, 2008

New running stuff for me!


Today is my birthday! Connie gave me a gift certificate to Breakaway and Mom gave me a gift certificate to Dick's. Looks like more cool running stuff in my future! The kids gave me a gift certificate for a massage and spa pedi. I know I'll be needing that soon!

Jodi gave me this neato Nike+iPod thing that goes with my Nano. It's a sensor that goes on my shoe which communicates with a receiver plugged into my Nano. It tracks distance, pace, calories, time, etc. and shows it all on a red display screen. And there's a voiceover that tells how far you've gone. You can also download all the data to your computer and keep up with your history.

So I tried it out this morning during my three mile run. What I did not do, however, was to calibrate it before I used it. Mistake number two was that I had it set in kilometers not miles. I figured out rather quickly that it wasn't calibrated. At one point, when my little voice man friend said 1.75 kilometers, I said out loud "It HAS to be farther". Then I decided to just focus on the time, rather than the distance and then callibrate it tonight or tomorrow. I ran for one hour and it showed that I put in 2.1 kilometers which is about 1.3 miles. Now, I'm not fast. But I'm faster than that. I may have put in a bit over three miles actually.

It felt pretty good. Had a little discomfort in my shins. Need to find some good stretches and get that taken care of.

Progress made:
Stepped out of my comfort zone a bit with some fundraising yesterday.
Have secured $525 in donations - yea!!
Ran this morning in 'freezing fog'- whatever that is.

Need to work on:
Callibrate my new Nike toy and figure out what else it does.

Lessons learned:
I'm in America. I should always focus on miles, not kilometers.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - I LOVE YOU