Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Less than ideal

Boy was it cold out there this morning. Twenty-five degrees. I dodged remnants of last night's wind storm - garbage cans, basketball goals, shingles...

Today was a tough one. My shins were really giving me some fits. I walked quite a bit, but still put in the 3 miles. I was accompanied this morning with some nice musical selections from Lenny Kravitz, The Foo Fighters, and Prince. I iced my shins when I got back inside and that has helped a lot. From what I've read, shin splints are common among beginning runners. I have been researching some stretches that I hope will help me out. I need to get some help from somebody down in PT today. In the meantime, Advil and ice are my friends.

I'm just disappointed with today's effort. But I guess that happens sometimes...

In the fundraising arena, my total is now $775. I'm excited about that. I'm so appreciative of the support that everyone has given me. Was particularly touched by a gift from a friend of my dad's cousin (who I've never even met) and also a gift from a friend of my parents who lost her husband to leukemia just a few weeks ago.

Progress made:
Doing well with my fundraising.

Lessons learned:
Not every run can be perfect.
Do not try to run on treadmill during sporadic power outage. Did that last night while I was working on my iPod. Not smart.

Need to work on:
Getting this shin pain under control
Nike+iPod was a bit better, but needs a bit more attention in the callibration department

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so you showed me up. walking 3 miles in 25 degree weather. I will now go "walk" 2 miles on my treadmill in the comfort and warmth of my house.

ILY