Thursday, January 24, 2008

Maybe not my cup of Pi-la-TEA

I am supposed to "cross-train" on the off days of non-running. I can barely acknowledge that I am training, much less cross-training. Anyway, the list of suggested activities included swimming, eliptical, Pilates, etc. How hard could the Pilates be? Some stretching, some leg lifts. Plus, it would be easy to just go buy a DVD at Target. Which is just what I did.

It was just a little odd. First of all, the women were laying in this meadow by a little stream in the Swiss Alps or something. I was waiting for Julie Andrews to show up and start singing. I was supposed to find my 'powerhouse' - which I'm not sure what or where that is - and then 'engage it'. Something about my abdomen, pelvic floor and buttocks......

Well, I made it through the DVD. Thirty minutes of stretching and lifting and rolling around on the floor. "inhale...flex....two...up....release.....exhale....three". WHAT??!?!! There were a few minutes where the threat of hyperventilating became very real. I got real messed up on the inhales and exhales. At one point, she said to "push through the thick molasses". I laughed out loud at that one.

I'll try it again. Maybe I'll get better and get the hang of it. In the meantime, I have to find my powerhouse........

Progress made:
Tried new activity.
Starting to send out fundraising letters and email.

No comments: