Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My cheering section

I do not think it's an accident that I start this official training almost a year to the day that my dad died, which was January 31, 2007. All of that is, obviously, on my mind this week. But I am blessed with family and friends who have been very supportive. They have gotten me through my dad's illness, his death, and my grief. They are so super supportive of my attempts at this marathon. I have a huge cheering section - and we're not even at the race yet! Y'all are SUPER!

I received a donation from a friend yesterday along with a note that I really think sums all those feelings up.

I've thought for a while about a way for me to remember your Dad this week. I never met him, but I know him -- you know? His life and death really affected me. I still can't really understand all of the dynamics around that, but it did. I just know that I needed to find a way to honor his life.
Anyway, I decided the best way for me to remember him this week is to support something I know he would be your #1 cheerleader for. In my heart, it's my way of honoring him -- and supporting you in your desire to run in memory of him and for a cure.
I just wish that I wasn't such a baby about running and was running with you. I'll be cheering you on and will be one of your faithful blog fans! But no one will be cheering louder than your Dad.
Thanks for letting me be a part of the "1st annual Angie Whitfield runs a marathon" by giving to help find a cure -- and for letting me remember your Dad with you this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another day down and ??? to go. Your dad would be so proud of you, as am I. He loved you deeply, as do I.

Anonymous said...

Babe, I am so proud of you and your determination in doing this. I know that Poopa is too!!! I know how tough this is and am proud to be your #1 eh maybe # 2 supporter (If you are counting your supporters in heaven).

con said...

Guess that puts me at #3 or #4!!! That's ok...the line forms here!!