Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Victory Party and Recovery

Meanwhile, back at the hotel.....







By this time, I was stiff and sore and starving. I ate something and was *dying* for a hot shower. However, Julie (my mentor and roomie) had other plans for me and my aching legs. Ice bath first. She said it would do wonders for my soreness. So she filled the hotel wastebasket with ice, told me to run a cold bath, pour in the ice and GET IN. EEEEE-YOOWWWWW! My goal was 10 minutes but I only made it 7 minutes before I was literally shivering and could hear the ice clinking around in the tub.

(I am really grateful for Julie and everything she did, not just during our training, but also the night before and the afternoon after the race. She really helped me out and took care of me. She's done several marathons and her experience was greatly needed and appreciated. Thanks Julie!)

The original plan was to meet in the lobby at 5 pm to head to the Victory Party. We had gotten back to the hotel at 3 pm maybe, something like that, and I told George and Dennese there was no way I would be able to make it by 5 pm. I could hardly walk for goodness sakes. But after my hot shower (Which followed the ice bath and was one of the greatest showers of my life.) and a little rest, I was up for the party.

OK, so we actually took a cab to the party. It was only a few blocks to the trolley stop and just several more to the Convention Center, but our dogs were really barking. So cab it was. The Victory Party was fun - everybody was proudly wearing their medals and limping around in flip-flops. There was some great music and later people actually danced. I have no idea how they were shaking their groove thing. It was all I could do to make it to the buffet table. The food was good and we all just ate like we hadn't eaten in six months. I was STARVING. They had big screens and were showing pictures taken throughout the weekend. It was a fun way to celebrate our accomplishment.

I heard from Jodi and Connie that my preacher had announced to the entire congregation that night before his sermon that I had completed a marathon for the Leukemia Society for Dad. I also got word that I had received 2 additional donations. Thanks to Glenda P. and Jennifer S. for making a donation to my fundraising efforts!

But soon, we were all ready to call it a night. We decided to take the trolley back. While we were waiting for the trolley, a Burlington Northern Railroad train came by. Jessica said "Oh that's where Jacob's dad works." Well, that was one of Dad's accounts but I knew it was a big place so it was doubtful that he would know my dad. Then I found out his dad worked in MAINTENANCE and PURCHASING. Jacob called his dad and he TOTALLY KNEW DAD!!! How about that!?!?! It just seemed like the perfect little end to my amazing day. After waiting *forevever*, we ended up limping all the way back to the hotel.

I had brought various forms of pain-relief and aid. They were all utilized and greatly enjoyed. With a hotel room reeking of Icy Hot, I crashed in my soft cozy bed, watched Password, and then conked out. Sweet dreams of my awesome day.


No comments: