Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Finish Line

The entrance to the Marine Base was at about Mile 25.5. There were Marines at the entrance in their camo fatigues. I think some of them were clapping maybe....

As we entered the base, the course went down a little drive and then turned to the left. People still cheering and clapping. "Just half a mile to go!". So we trotted on. Then the next person up ahead "Just half a mile to go!". Forward motion. And the next person "Just half a mile to go!" That was probably the longest half mile I've ever seen. I remember asking George several times "Where is it? Where is the finish line? Where is it?" - because I could just not see it or anything that even looked like it. But I knew we just had to be close. Just another half mile, right? The path made a major right turn at this yellow concrete building and we almost immediately went under the arch.




Looking back now at this picture, I can see the 26 mile mark sign. See it there on the right? I didn't see it that day. Because I saw something else.....I saw THE FINISH LINE!!!!! There it was up ahead.



You can see from this picture how 'long' (or not long....) it was from the building arch to the finish line. I guess it was only .2 miles.......





People lined up everywhere - lined along the fence on that last little stretch. Cheering for me - BY NAME! And then I saw Jessica, Jacob & Dennese right there - cheering for me too!!! Jacob took this very flattering photo of me......Seriously though, I'm grateful he took this picture of me. And I'm so glad they were right there just rooting me to the finish line. (That was so sweet of them to even stick around for me because Speedy Jessica finished in 5:30:00 and hung around to see me finish! Thanks y'all!!) I wonder now how I ever even heard them or picked them out of the crowd. There were just TONS of people there.





There I go......another view of my best side.....




And then, I did it. I CROSSED THE FINISH LINE! I FINISHED THE MARATHON!!!!!!!!



It did get a little foggy right after that. I remember crossing the finish line and just continuing to walk on ahead. Then George came up behind me and was just smiling and laughing and really just seemed so darn proud and excited for me. Big hug and some tears. He brought me an ice cold towel and man oh man did that feel good. I hung on to that thing the rest of the afternoon.

Then I got my medal. There were several people lined up passing them out. A young girl - maybe 8 or 10 years old - put my medal on my neck. YEA FOR ME!!! A finishers medal!!! (Can you read the back? It says 'Finisher. I ROCKED!')






Then we headed to the spot where the 'official race finish photo' was taken. I was kind of crying and smiling at the same time.



Next on the finish line agenda was getting the chip cut off our shoe. They had a little metal step thing that couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 inches off the ground. It was all I could do to just lift my foot up there so the guy could cut it off.

We headed to a medic tent just to get in the shade for a minute. That's when I called Jodi. He answered the phone "7:00:53!!!". He and Jordan had been watching online and had just seen me cross the finish line. Major tears here when I talked to them. (Cooper was asleep.)

I picked up my gear - again, a little haul since 'W' was the VERY last truck...UGH. I had to "check out" at the TNT tent. Just so they could account for all the runners. Can't leave any bodies out on the course. I was presented my 26.2 TNT pin which I PROUDLY pinned to my ribbon on my medal.



We passed a few Marines and I said "I just ran a marathon!!!" and they said, very stiff and official, "Congratulations Ma'am" And I told them my daddy was a Marine and that was why I did it and thank you for serving our country and were they allowed to high five me or not..... And of course they were - so they did!

Then we found the rest of our team! Andrea, Dennese, Julie, Nicole & Jessica and their families were all there. More big hugs!!! Yea for us!!!

I managed to sit down on the grass and couldn't wait to get my shoes off. Aaaahhhh. That was much better. I was not hungry AT ALL. Nothing sounded good at all. I just wanted water. I saw George chowing down on a turkey sandwich and I thought I would just be sick right there on the spot.

I got a text from Connie: "you did it!!!!! i'm so proud of u!!! how do u feel?" and another from my friend Patti: "CONGRATS! U did great! Can't wait to hear about it".

I think then Connie called and we talked. Both of us bawling. Then I called Mom. Continued crying. I just remember saying "I did it." Over and over and over again.

And then, it all just hit me. The marathon. The finish. I had done it. I FINISHED. My dad. My accomplishment. MY DADDY. And I just wept. That's really the only way I can describe it. And I get a little teary right now just thinking it - just thinking about that moment and remembering the huge amount of emotion that I was experiencing. I will never forget that.

Slowly and painfully we made it to the bus for the shuttle back to the hotel. I never realized how steep bus steps are.... oh my.....Everybody on the bus was just high-fiving each other and congratulating each other. Because we had all just FINISHED THE MARATHON!!!


And yeah, we all just totally rocked it!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, Angie! It was such an amazing expierence, wasn't it? The mixture of emotions at the end was crazy! You did it! I'm sure your dad is so proud.

Anonymous said...

YEAHHHHHHHH for Mommy and the whole team..............